Senior Financial Controller / Financial Operations
Salary: £Depending on relevant experience + Bonus + Benefits
Location: North York area, Ontario Canada
Office based: Mon-Fri: Permanent / Full time
Remarkable Jobs are working with a Global organisation who due to a recent acquisition are now looking to strengthen and enhance the leadership within their Canadian operations. Remarkable Jobs are assisting in recruiting of a ‘Senior Financial Controller’. This Senior Financial Controller position will be directly supporting, and reporting to the Senior VP of Finance.
We are hoping to engage with candidates that have robust, commercial experience which includes:
- A minimum of 10 years financial experience, with at least 3 of these being in a management position
- Previous experience will include all aspects of operational accounting, financial reporting and analysis
- A mix of public accounting/private industry (public accounting experience with a major audit firm or major North American company preferred)
- The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of all operational accounting aspects and their inter-relationship with financial accounting, budgeting/forecasting and operations support. It is preferable that they have risen through progressive promotions from cost accountant to manager or operations controller (or similarly titled)
- Prior experience using SAP (utilizing both standard and moving average cost methodologies) is strongly preferred. Candidates without this experience should have experience using an ERP system and be prepared to discuss how they will be able to quickly come up to speed on using SAP
Senior Financial Controller Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or Finance
- Accounting designation (CPA, CMA), or an equivalent related experience preferred
- Knowledge and understanding of US GAAP and IFRS
Senior Financial Controller responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate, develop and execute standard cost rolls on a periodic basis
- Prepare/Coordinate standard costing for products, which includes raw materials, labor and overhead rates working collaboratively with Operations and Purchasing
- Lead financial process of ensuring accurate bills of material and standard costs through regular review meetings with Operations
- Analyze product cost data and make recommendations for cost changes in compliance with company policy
- Analyze consumption accounts and ensure proper accounting and reporting of production order settlements
- Develop and implement reporting process for standard cost variances (i.e., cost, volume and efficiency), provide interpretation of variances and make recommendations for ongoing cost and reporting improvements
- Develop and prepare product profitability reporting that includes absorption, project and process costs
- Develop/Enhance company policies surrounding production costs, standard setting, inventory reserves, scrap
- Perform calculation and analysis of inventory reserves to ensure they are adequate and in compliance with financial policies
- Monitor, track and report zero value, slow moving and obsolete inventory.
- Collaborate with Operations, Commercial and R&D to develop improvements to reduce exposure to excess and obsolescence of inventory
- Analyze inventory subsidiary ledgers on a monthly basis and reconcile with general ledger to ensure that all transactions are properly recorded, and inventory is stated at the lower of cost or market value.
- Perform month end close duties related to inventory, cost of goods sold and gross margin, including preparation of journal entries and related reporting
- Accountable for accurate general ledger coding for inventory and other cost of goods sold purchases as well as accurate settlement of internal and process orders in SAP – this will require working with Operations and Purchasing
- Determine key performance indicators (i.e., slow moving, scrap, inventory turns) to understand the business – provide mechanism for tracking performance against those metrics – this will include working with Operations and Finance management
- Ensure that appropriate internal financial controls exist in the business unit to safeguard company assets
- Drive process improvements throughout the department to maximize efficiency
- Drive product cost improvements by identifying cost drivers and working with operations and purchasing to identify cost reduction opportunities and develop mechanisms to measure savings
- Assist with the preparation of operating and capital budgets as required
- Lead Finance coordination with Operations of cycle counting process and year-end audit physical inventory counts and related coordination with auditors
- Assist with annual financial audits as required.
Budgeting and Forecasting:
- Take a lead role in working with the operational departments on the preparation of annual budgets and monthly reforecasting using Planning software
- Aid in achieving budget/forecast objectives by analyzing consumption accounts, inventory adjustments, operational variances and under/over absorption, leading cost center review meetings with senior management and implementing corrective actions
This is a great opportunity to join a global organisation, who are currently achieving significant growth with fantastic development potential.
This is an urgent opportunity and applications will be reviewed within 24 hours. All interviews will be completed by remote video calls.